THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS I’LL RECEIVE A COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK, AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. PLEASE READ FULL DISCLOSURE HERE.
Today, I am taste-testing a Daily Harvest Forager Bowl ON CAMERA! Because why not share my awkwardness with the world?
Here is my video review of the Leek + Fonio Forager Bowl and a little deep dive into fonio grits as an incredible whole grain option.
Article Quick Links
My YouTube Debut - Girl Planted Food + Lifestyle
If you’re a return visitor to my virtual home that is GirlPlanted.com, you’ll know that I’m in love with Daily Harvest and I’m currently navigating my way through the entire DH Food Catalog. I cannot WAIT to try every single thing and write up a little review along with some things I didn’t know.
Like fonio grits; I had no idea those existed AND there’s evidence of this on video because I ask viewers how to pronounce it. I’m goofy, okay?
- Pearled Fonio
- Organic Kale
- Organic Parsnip Puree
- Organic Cauliflower Rice
- Organic Organic Leeks
- Organic Pickled Peppers
- Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Organic Garlic
- Nutritional Yeast
- Himalayan Sea Salt
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Organic Black Pepper
Leek And Fonio Grits Nutrition
A single bowl is one serving size and is only 190 calories! WHAT?! Amazing. I love the low calorie amount for this bowl and I also love that you can easily add in a protein and make it a filling, full meal if you wish. I’m pretty sure extra-firm tofu would be an amazing addition to this plant-based bowl of delish.
Other notable nutritional elements include: 31g Carbs, 4g Fiber, 3g Sugar, 5g Protein and 6g Fat
What Are Fonio Grits?
I was recording the video for this review and in the moment, realized I had no idea how to say fonio and really had no idea what it was. Knowing Daily Harvest is a plant-based, organic brand I figured it was in the grain family and I guessed correctly!
Because I didn’t know anything about fonio grits other than what they tasted like, I did a deep dive and here’s what I discovered.
Fonio Grits are a member of the millet family. It is a whole grain that is a nutritional powerhouse and contains the highest amount of calcium content in all of the grains.
This means that if you are lactose intolerant or are a Vegan, you can consume this grain as a dairy alternative.
Fonio grits are a very nutty bite. The texture was a lot like couscous to me, especially the fluffiness. It was a very light bite and super delicious. I was equally excited to see if it would hurt my tummy, as some grains do if I eat too much. But I’m happy to report that fonio grits were light on my stomach, delicious and filling. I really like them!
- DH makes it REALLY easy to eat more fruits and vegetables every day. Especially on the days I’m running around without respite and time flies by like a big ole blur.
- Absolutely DELISH food delivered to my front door, frozen and ready to make whenever I’m ready to eat.
- Subscription Plans are super flexible with a weekly or monthly delivery choice and between 9 to 26 items, depending on the box size.
- SUPER Flexible deliveries with the ability to add or subtract items, change box sizes, food selections and you can even skip weeks, if needed.
- I’m on a get-healthy journey and for me, it starts in my kitchen and nourishing foods. DH is organic, gluten-free, dairy-free, and plant-based.
- Daily Harvest has over 100 options for any time of day!
Ways To Prepare Your Daily Harvest Bowl
Because Daily Harvest is delivered with dry ice and meant to be stored in the freezer, it’s important to put everything away as soon as possible. Just grab it out of the freezer when you’re ready to eat it and prepare your frozen forager bowl.
Here are 2 ways to prepare this Daily Harvest Bowl
- Stovetop – Pour your bowl contents into a pot. Add approximately 1/4 cup of water or bone broth. Break apart the frozen food with a big wood spoon to even out the contents in the pot. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Enjoy hot!
- Microwave – Perhaps the easiest way to eat a forager bowl in a pinch! Remove the package seal. Place the entire bowl in the microwave, Heat for approximately a minute and a half. Give the food a little stir. Pop it back into the microwave for another minute and a half (about 3 minutes total). Enjoy!
If you watched the video, I literally said it was good about 100 times. I wasn’t kidding. It’s DELISH. I will definitely be ordering this one again. Some of the other items you can find on the Daily Harvest website are:
- NEW! Crumbles
- Harvest Bowls
- Forager Bowls
In all honesty, I loved it. If you aren’t a fan of leek, you probably won’t like it. I’m obsessed with leeks and parsnip so having both in this dish was a treat. In fact, I was bummed I didn’t think ahead to make some extra firm tofu as a protein-daily-harvest-meal-hack add-in. It would have tasted SO yum!
Yea. I’m a TOTAL fan girl over here.
If you decide to give it a try, use the promo code GIRLPLANTED for up to $40 off.
Did you know – By pinning this article to your favorite Pinterest Board, you’re helping Girl Planted reach new eyes?
I really appreciate this kind gesture that takes just a few moments of your time and would give you a virtual hug if I could!